Tetracyclines for COVID-19 Neurological and Neuropsychiatric Manifestations to treat Neuroinflammation
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms were reported during COVID-19.
- Coronaviruses have neuroinvasive potential and induce a potent neuroinflammatory response.
- Tetracyclines can counteract neuroinflammation caused by neurotrophic viruses.
- Tetracyclines interact with viral proteins presenting antiviral effects.
- Tetracyclines represent a potential treatment for COVID-19 neuropsychiatric symptoms.
Chaves Filho, A.J.M., Gonçalves, F., Mottin, M. et al. Repurposing of Tetracyclines for COVID-19 Neurological and Neuropsychiatric Manifestations: A Valid Option to Control SARS-CoV-2-Associated Neuroinflammation?. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11481-021-09986-3