Learning to Slay the Beasts Podcast Gabriella True, ASPIRE President, sits down with Sara German of Learning to Slay the Beasts Podcast, to talk all things PANS PANDAS and Autism. They discuss...
Rea I, Guido CA, Spalice A. Clinical Features in Patients With PANDAS/PANS and Therapeutic Approaches: A Retrospective Study. Frontiers in Neurology. Vol. 12, 2021. DOI=10.3389/fneur.2021.741176
- 62 patients with a clinical diagnosis of PANDAS/PANS.
- 15 with PANS. 47 with PANDAS
- Mean age at onset of PANDAS/PANS symptoms was 6.2 ± 1.2 years
- 6.2 for PANDAS. 6.0 for PANS
- Neurological and psychiatric symptoms were mostly evident in both groups with little difference
- 93.5% had vocal tics
- 79% had OCD
- PANS kids had more irritability, aggressivity, and food restriction
- PANDAS kids had 10 times higher levels of anti-streptolysin O and anti-DNAse B
- PANS kid had a higher percentage of metabolic disorders
- Psychotherapy significantly relieved OCD the most and reduced stress in patients and parents
- Antibiotic prophylaxis was the most frequently used (90%) for acute neurological symptoms
Postnatal immune activation causes social deficits in a mouse model of tuberous sclerosis: Role of microglia and clinical implications
Manuel F. López-Aranda, Ishanu Chattopadhya, Gayle M. Boxx, Elizabeth R. Fraley, Tawnie K. Silva, Miou Zhou, Miranda Phan, Isaiah Herrera, Sunrae Talomam Rochelle Mandanas, Karen Bach and Michael Gandal and Daniel H. Geschwind, Genhong Cheng, Andrey Rzhetsky and Stephanie A. White, Alcino J. Silva. Postnatal immune activation causes social deficits in a mouse model of tuberous sclerosis: Role of microglia and clinical implications. Science Advances, vol 7. 38, 2021. DOI:10.1126/sciadv.abf2073
There is growing evidence that prenatal viral infections triggering immune activation contributes to neuropsychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia and autism spectrum disorders
- Study links significant childhood infections to developing autism later.
- In mouse models, mice that had an immune response later were no longer able to recognize familiar faces. This study was replicated with a focus on social interactions and the mice whose immune system was activated had increased difficulty communicating.
- A different study reinforces the mouse model that tracked 3.6 million hospitalized children shoeing that hospitalizations due to infections during early childhood can predict a future diagnosis of ASD
On November 13, 2020, The Texas Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Advisory Council met for the first...
I asked my son if I could share his story with ASPIRE; he could help people. For the first time in a long time, he smiled and said he felt special. Talk about silver linings and self-efficacy....