Gagliano A, Puligheddu M, Ronzano N, Congiu P, Tanca MG, Cursio I, Carucci S, Sotgiu S, Grossi E, Zuddas A. Artificial Neural Networks Analysis of polysomnographic and clinical features in Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS): from sleep alteration to “Brain Fog”. Nat Sci Sleep. 2021;13:1209-1224. DOI: 10.2147/NSS.S300818
- Disordered sleep represents is a cardinal symptom in patients with PANS
- Polysomnography showed abnormality in 17 out of 23 recruited subjects (73.9%).
- 8/17 children (47%) had ineffective sleep
- 10/17 (58.8%) fragmented sleep
- 8/17 (47.1%) periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD)
- 11/17 (64.7%) REM-sleep without atonia (RSWA).
- Most subjects presented more than one sleep disturbance
- Among the 19/23 patients diagnosed with Tic/Tourette disorder, 8/19 (42.1%) show PLMD and 10/19 (52.6%) RSWA