ASPIRE’s Board gives a huge thank you to everyone who organized, participated, and donated to THE:HOPE Healing PANS/PANDAS 5k! You all did such a tremendously amazing job putting it all together and rallying support around you. Thank you for helping to provide hope for healing to our PANS community.
From the Minnesota Race Team
Thank you to everyone for your support. We raised over $7,900 that will be donated to ASPIRE to further their mission of PANS/PANDAS advocacy, education, awareness, and support. The outpouring of love and support from all of you was truly felt on Saturday. We look forward to seeing you at the 2023 THE:HOPE Healing PANS/PANDAS 5k.
Race Planning for 2022
THE:HOPE HEALING PANS PANDAS Virtual 5K Run/Walk/Sit – July 23, 2022
Run for Hope! PANS/PANDAS are under-recognized, and we must increase understanding to decrease suffering. Be part of this movement; provide hope!
Please join us for a virtual 5k run/walk/sit to raise money and awareness towards healing PANS and PANDAS. Proceeds will be donated to ASPIRE (The Alliance to Solve PANS and Immune-Related Encephalopathies). You can easily create a team page to ask your friends, family, co-workers, etc., to donate in honor of your team! Of course, you can gather a group of friends in your area and organize a low-key run, walk, or sit in person on July 23, 2022. This year’s 5K is the start of what we hope will be an annual event. -MN PANS PANDAS Support Group
See information below on how to set up a fundraising team page and how to make your Run/Walk/Sit event a success! Downloadable materials are provided.
Give the Gift of HOPE! Be a Fundraiser!
Lace up those running shoes or kick back in the comfort of your own home and Run/Walk/Sit for Hope! Be part of the change! Create your own fundraising page in a few easy steps on the Race Registration Website. Then ask people to donate and support your team! Ask people you know to donate to in honor of your child, your student, your relative, or whomever you know ASPIRE has helped. Tell them why you are fundraising for PANS/PANDAS!
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR VIRTUAL RUN/WALK/SIT
- Set up your Team Fundraising page – Click Here
- Ask friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family to donate to your team! If you do an in-person event, ask people to join you! Email your contacts and post on social media.
- Complete a 5K Run/Walk/Sit at your convenience (or do something else like watch 5 moments of self-care or talk to 5 people about PANS PANDAS)
- Celebrate your accomplishments by sharing pictures and graphics on social media! See downloadable materials below. Tag your posts with #THE:HOPEHEALINGPANSPANDAS
Together we can continue to make a difference in the PANS PANDAS community and improve the lives of those affected by this devastating but treatable disorder.
Create your own Fundraising page: Be a Fundraiser
Make your Run/Walk/Sit a Success!
Virtual Runs/Walks/Sits are always a satisfying experience because you can choose what you want to do while fundraising to help improve the lives of those affected by PANS PANDAS. You get the chance to set goals for yourself and accomplish those goals. You can complete your run/walk/sit at your own pace and wherever you feel most comfortable. In addition, you can do some things to make your virtual race an unforgettable experience that you will always treasure. Here are some creative things you can do to make your virtual run/walk/ist a blast!
1. Decide if you are Running, Walking, or Sitting!
For those Running or Walking – This absolutely does not have to be a big formal race that involves town permits and insurance. It absolutely should be fun. Walk/Run on your own. Make the fundraiser a family activity. Or get a big group together. So decide if you want to do it on your own, with your family or with a bunch of people. Be creative – catch 5 great waves at the beach, swim a 5K, bike 5K, kayak over 5 rapids … make it fun.
- Set a place and time to meet on July 23, 2022
- Map out your 5K course. The start location can be your house or a nice place to Run/Walk (whatever you feel comfortable with)
- Invite friends, co-workers, family, neighbors, etc.
- Grab a bunch of water bottles to hand out to everyone or
- Maybe have everyone order some shirts from ASPIRE Shop
- Promote your event and fundraiser via mail and social media – See downloadable materials below including: Invites & Awareness & Donor Thank Yous
For those Sitting – We know not everyone wants to run/walk a 5K, but that doesn’t mean you can’t join in! Just the opposite. We suggest activities like taking 5 moments of self-care instead of walking 5 kilometers. Or learn/teach 5 facts about PANS PANDAS. Or watch 5 tv shows that you have wanted to binge. It is your event; you get to choose what you do!
- Decide on an activity (see below for a few ideas)
- Set a place and time to meet on July 23, 2022 – at your home, cafe, or park
- Invite friends, co-workers, family, neighbors, etc.
- Promote your event and fundraiser via mail and social media. Tag your posts with #THE:HOPEHEALINGPANSPANDAS
- Don’t forget to thank your donors after the event!
- See downloadable materials below including: Invites & Awareness & Donor Thank Yous
2. Invite Friends to Join You. Remember this is a virtual event; people can run/walk/sit alongside you but in a different state, and they can donate to your team from anywhere!
For those Running or Walking – Runs/Walks always seem to be better when you do them with friends because they are there to encourage you throughout training and during the race. It’s great when you are doing them with someone who has the same passion for Running/Walking as you do. If your friends do not want to join you, invite them to cheer you on from the sidelines. Then, they can still have fun contributing to your success. Of course, you can still run/walk by yourself.
For those Sitting – We know PANS PANDAS can be isolating at times, so take today to do something with someone else! But if that is not possible, grab some friends virtually – this is a virtual event, after all.
- 5 Moments of Self-Care – We know it can be hard to get into the routine of ensuring our cup isn’t empty. Grab a friend and do it together – accountability helps even when it comes to self-care.
- Learn or teach 5 facts about PANS PANDAS – Meet up with some local PANS families and learn more about PANS PANDAS. ASPIRE has plenty of materials to read and watch.
- Something random like binge 5 TV shows – It is your event; you get to choose what you do! Don’t forget the popcorn.
2. Dress Up in a Funny Outfit or Wear an ASPIRE T-Shirt
- Dressing up (like a superhero) may make your race a little more fun! Wearing an ASPIRE t-shirt can help spread awareness about this devastating but treatable disorder!
- Order T-shirts, water bottles, and more: Shop ASPIRE
3. Celebrate After Your Run/Walk/Sit
While reaching your goals and achieving victory can be exciting, you can still find simple ways to celebrate your accomplishments. For example, if you did the run/walk/sit with friends, you could all go to dinner afterward or do another activity you enjoy together. This way, you can keep the party going and celebrate what you all accomplished together. See downloadable materials below including: Invites & Awareness & Donor Thank Yous. Tag your posts with #THE:HOPEHEALINGPANSPANDAS
4. Post Pictures of your Run/Walk/Sit and Spread Awareness with ASPIRE Materials
Don’t forget that this is not just a fundraiser and fun activity; this is an incredible way to spread awareness of PANS/PANDAS. Post pictures of yourself and/or your team during your run/walk/sit and share them on your social media. While you are at it, post an informational flyer on PANS PANDAS and write about why you are fundraising! Encourage your friends to contribute to your fundraiser while learning more about PANS PANDAS. See downloadable materials below including: Invites & Awareness & Donor Thank Yous,. Tag your posts with #THE:HOPEHEALINGPANSPANDAS
Materials to Promote Your Fundraiser
PANS PANDAS Awareness Video: https://aspire.care/families-parents-caregivers/about-pans-pandas-from-aspire
PANS PANDAS Handouts & Toolkits: https://aspire.care/resources/pans-pandas-brochures-and-handouts
Social Media Event Promotional Materials: (Click on each image to download.)
Social Media PANS PANDAS Awareness Graphics: (Click on each image to download.)
Social Media Thank You Graphics: (Click on each image to download.)
Questions About the Race?
Contact the Race Organizers via Race Website.
What are PANS/PANDAS?
PANS is an acronym for Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome. PANS is a clinical condition defined by the sudden encephalitic-like onset of obsessive-compulsive symptoms and/or severe eating restrictions and at least two concurrent cognitive, behavioral, or neurological symptoms. PANS has multiple etiologies and disease mechanisms. PANS and PANDAS require a clinical diagnosis based on a child’s medical history and physical examination. Symptoms cannot be better explained by another diagnosis. There is no age restriction for a PANS diagnosis.
PANDAS, a subset of PANS, stands for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Associated with Streptococcus, specifically Group A Strep (GAS) infections, which can occur in many parts of the body – not just the throat. The onset of symptoms can occur within days of contracting strep, or within several months of the inciting infection. You may have heard the term PANDAS more often but PANS is the umbrella term.