Gabriella True is the President of ASPIRE, Alliance to Solve PANS & Immune-Related Encephalopathies. She and her two children have PANS PANDAS. She has been a leader in the PANS and autism...
Supporting the Whole Child – Identifying new pathways to help more children Psychology Today – November 25, 2002 by Sheilah M. Gauch – The Whole Child Key points Educators are...
Speaker: Sheilah Gauch, LICSW, M.Ed Webinar: Understanding and Managing Caregiver Trauma Associated with PANS PANDAS Date/Time: November 29 7:00-9:00 pm EST Register for this webinar: Via Zoom!...
Risk of Major Mental Disorder after Severe Bacterial Infections in Children and Adolescents: A Nationwide Longitudinal Study
- 14,024 children and adolescents with hospitalized bacterial infection, and noninfected controls were 1:4 matched from a nationwide cohort between 1997 and 2012,
- 11 investigated pathogens, namely, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas, Klebsiella, Hemophilus, Mycoplasma, Tuberculosis, Meningococcus, Escherichia, Chlamydia, and Scrub typhus.
- The primary outcomes were the subsequent risk of seven MMDs: 1- autism spectrum disorder (ASD), 2- attention-deficiency hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), 3- obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), 4- tic disorder, -5 schizophrenia, 6- bipolar disorder, 7- depressive disorder.
- The secondary outcomes were the subsequent risk of exposure to psychotropic medications.
Speaker: Julie Cox, MSW, LCSW, PLLC Webinar: Helping PANS Families Move From Grief to Empowerment Register to View Recorded Webinar: Watch on Demand Please register even if you will not attend...
A Survey of Demographics, Symptom Course, Family History, and Barriers to Treatment in Children with Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Disorders and Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcal Infections
- At onset, OCD was the most common psychiatric symptom 83.06% reported in children, along with a high percentage of medical and psychiatric comorbidities.
- Most psychiatric comorbidities began or worsened at the onset of PANS/PANDAS symptoms. However, major depressive disorder was the most frequently reported psychiatric disorder to develop after PANS/PANDAS onset (10%).
- Family members report high frequency of autoimmune and inflammatory conditions, with 29.95% of mothers endorsing one or more autoimmune conditions.
- Mean caregiver burden is above “burnout” level. Caregivers had mildly elevated levels of depression, anxiety, and stress.
ASPIRE’S Professional Advisory Board publishes Testing & Antibiotic Usage for GAS in PANS & PANDAS The section below provides only a brief overview of the Professional Advisory Board...
Preexisting Neuropsychiatric Conditions and Associated Risk of Severe COVID-19 Infection and Other Acute Respiratory Infections
Ranger TA, Clift AK, Patone M, et al. Preexisting Neuropsychiatric Conditions and Associated Risk of Severe COVID-19 Infection and Other Acute Respiratory Infections. JAMA Psychiatry. Published online November 09, 2022. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2022.3614
Conclusions and Relevance In this longitudinal cohort study, UK patients with preexisting neuropsychiatric conditions and treatments were associated with similarly increased risks of severe outcome from COVID-19 infection and SARIs, except for dementia.